Sunday, September 13, 2015

What can your College do for you?

College is a location for higher learning to practice upon our strengths and improve upon our weaknesses. The skills acquired in the classroom are what everyone envisions when they fill out the application for admission to a university. Im not here to say otherwise, however I do believe the skills acquired outside of the classroom during your time spent in college are equally, if not more important to advancing yourself toward your optimal career. Involvement within your campus is key to gaining an optimal college experience.

Getting involved in clubs, teams, and organizations show you enjoy being involved and that you're able to maintain a busy, diverse schedule. These extra-curricular activities are the types of resume builders that will separate yourself from others when you're looking for work right out of college. Involvement is more than simply doing something to build your resume. Being involved in something you're passionate about will push you out of your comfort zone and to heights you may never have believed were possible. Follow your passions and never stop believing in yourself.

My freshman year I knew nobody. I had no friends to begin my college career with and was forced out of my comfort zone to change that. Im an introvert, which made putting myself out there and meeting new people no simple task. Through friends I had met, I ended up rushing a social fraternity on campus, and was initiated. The process of rushing and initiating was exactly what I needed to break out of my introverted shell. One year later I ran for an executive position and was named to the executive board as the Scholarship Chairman; a position I would never have dreamed to be named to prior to rushing. My fraternity has changed me for the better and while I am still introverted I have learned to express myself in social and academic environments. This level of growth was something I would not have acquired by merely attending classes and has drastically changed my college experience for the better.

Your time in college will go quicker than you may believe. Make your time enrolled productive. Become involved as much or as little as you would like and do not hesitate when opportunities to become involved present themselves to you. Remain open minded, take educated risks, and never stop learning.







No comments:

Post a Comment